August 3rd-9th 2015
Its Dental Health week, so its a good time to recap on the Basics of Oral Hygiene.
Well we all know that we should be looking after our health but many of us forget that, our oral hygiene plays a big role in our overall health. Things to remember about your mouth and teeth.
- Brush at least twice a day for 2-3minutes
- Use fluoridated toothpaste (this helps to harden tooth enamel and reduces the risk of decay)
- Floss your teeth daily (if you find traditional floss difficult try TePe interdental brushes)
- Limit Sugary Foods
- Wear a custom fitted mouthguard while playing sport
- Limit acidic drinks like cordial, soft drink and juice-the acid in the drinks dissolves the minerals in the tooth enamel causing cavities.
- Visit your dentist regularly (every six months) and if you have any concerns like tooth ache or bleeding gums don’t put off ringing to make an appointment you are better getting it sorted out immediately and preventing further problems.
The Australian Dental Association (A.D.A.) have a website dedicated to Dental health week and if you are interested or want to look at some educational support material check out their site at www.dentalhealthweek.com.au.